Specific Energy Consumption(SEC)
/ Enterprise Energy management
Specific Energy Consumption (SEC) – The Iron & Steel, Mining, Engineering, and Heavy Manufacturing Industries are the largest energy consuming sectors in the world, these businesses consume a lot of energy that results in an increase in inputs cost. The purpose of the study is to calculate overall monthly “Specific Energy Consumption or Total Energy Consumption” which can be done from the energy consumption data and production figures and to generate different MIS Reports like Key Performance Indicator’s such as Gcal, Kcal, Kgs, MWH, Energy Balance Production Summary reports of Plants, Plant Efficiency (based on Balance & Actual Production), Production Ratio’s from different plant operations, Consumption details of various material inputs/outputs like Coal, Electricity, Gas, Coke, LPG, Oxygen, Steam, TAR, Nitrogen, Water and etc.
One of India’s Leading Steel Manufacturer and having integrated steel manufacturing facilities from raw material processing plants to value-added product portfolio capabilities like wire rods, steel bars, round bars. All the products are made by combination of the art steel making technologies in integrated steel plants such as Sinter Plants (SP), Blast Furnace (BF), Coke oven plants (CP), Open hearth plants (BF-OHP), Basic oxygen furnace (BF-BOP), Electric Arc furnaces – either coal or gas based (BF-EAF),Corex, Pulverized Coal Injection and etc.
Some of the Key Challenges:
- The current industry challenges are the need to enhance product quality, improve process efficiencies, reduce cycle times, reduce downtime, reduce wastages and rework, track products, ensure adherence to regulatory guidelines.
- Energy value limits are often exceeded and often thereby causing additional costs in the variable inputs, on other resources.
- It becomes difficult for users from different departments to collate information or collect operational energy values from all these different sources like SAP, MES, PLC, LIS, Control Systems and etc.
- Key performance indicators across the plants like Sinter, Blast furnace, Coke oven plants, Basic Oxygen furnace, and other plants are cumbersome to calculate, time-consuming and many times are done manually.
- Manual data entry on spreadsheets, Manual Data Entry & Data Consolidation on Excel Spread Sheets leads to prone errors and inconsistencies in values.
- Not able to co-relate actual energy consumption by an allocation of the actual use of energy in each of the unit’s operations in plants.
- Not possible to compare energy values, steam, power and gas emission efficiencies across each plant at the same time
- Manual interventions need lots of time to complete the entire data consolidation process and require a lot of human efforts which results in chances of error-prone reporting.
- Not able to view cost parameters which are linked to quantity generated as per ton basis, the management cannot take quick decision-making process with pricing and cost control.
Detailed Problem Statement:
The major challenge is that all iron & steel industries are covered under Environment Protection Act as well as Environment Protection Rules & Regulations, wasting most of the time on inefficient process, high emissions of Co2 via the burning of fuels has a negative impact on energy balance which is not meeting their regulatory standards and etc.
In present plant, for calculation of above said “SEC” (Specific Energy Consumption) and data consolidation and generating various MIS Reports, there are more than 50 – 70 both parent and child departments’ which works to capture the Production, Quality, Consumption and Energy values ranging from 600 – 900 parameters in respective departments, plants level operations, and different equipment’s values with their specific type, item category, parameters and units-wise and it becomes difficult for operators to collate the information from different sources like, SAP, PLC, MES, distributed control systems, Lab Information Systems, and other disparate information systems
On regular intervals of time, each user will record the values, collect the data manually from various information systems and transfer the same information manually to an excel spreadsheet on daily basis and submit it to the plant heads for approvals via e-mail attachments.
The manual data collection and reporting however slowed their ability to make some process improvements and was prone to human error, breakages of formulas/links, questionable values, delay in approvals thus, became a time consuming process for merging the multiple spreadsheets to generate consolidated reports, reconciliation or rekeying the values, data analysis, decision support reports like Consumption Reports, Energy and Power Index reports, detailed summary reports, daily, weekly or monthly reports and was not able to express the level accuracy values and there was no way to correlate with the specific information in their integrated steel plants.
During the consolidation of these hundreds of spreadsheets for the business users, it creates a lot of confusion to identify or track the hanging excel files in the e-mails, where it is difficult to interpret what important and what’s not in these excels sheets where you are missing an important aspect of data set.
AmpleLogic Team Approach:
By considering all the facts, AL Team had taken a challenge to address their problem by understanding their process scenarios thoroughly and by providing a deeper and identified a solution of automating the process to meet their energy and environmental regulatory standards.
By deploying the process automation software, JSW Steel Ltd automated the business process in terms of reporting of data and display accurate values of numerous KPI’s, decision support reports as required, reduced timelines, increased productivity and efficiency of plants and workforce, streamlining the business process and planning.
AmpleLogic Energy Management Solution:
- Eco-friendly technology, User-Friendly with Excel Interface, highly flexible, easy to use.
- Connect all decision makers or stakeholders in a single platform to get a clear picture from the bottom up line approach.
- Integrate or connects with other sources/information solutions for collecting and reporting data from disparate sources or any third-party applications.
- Robust workflow securely accesses almost any data source within an enterprise to create personalized, actionable information which will be displayed as per the restricted user.
- Users are empowered to develop comprehensive data/values and generate reports in a matter of minutes with a single touch instead of what previously took long hours and days.
- It helps them to overcome the complexity of data from many departments/places by making it very simple to find what you need, when you need it, get the reports or dashboards that drive value and informed decisions.
- Can build and change the workflows, forms, reports, charts, graphs yourself with simple drag and drop features.
- Tracking the user activity timings, e-mail alerts, status tracking and etc.
Results & Benefits:
- Monitor numerous Key Performance Indicators from sinter, blast furnaces, basic oxygen furnaces such as units, Kcal/Kg, Kcal/Kwh, Gcal/TP, and Kcal/Nm3.
- Compares and reveals actual energy consumption by the allocation of the actual use of energy in each of the unit operations.
- Continuous emission monitoring to comply with environmental legislation.
- Current plant data comparison with past data to check how to plant efficiencies can be handled.
- Generate scheduled automated reports like Consumption reports of material inputs, Steel Production reports Balanced Production Ratio reports of each plant wise, Power & Energy Index Charts, Fuel ratios, Steam ratios, and Intensity reports, etc.
- Improved workforce utilization by avoiding thousands of hours per year of manual data collection and reporting.
- Gets clear information on gaps between budgeted and actual production data.
- Saves a complete day effort by performing work in just hours or minutes with an automation solution.
- Results in more accurate consolidated reports with a bottom-up approach.
- It helps or gains insight into the process through access to real-time data and automatically provides/generate reports based on the user’s needs.
- Automatically distribute customized reports to recipients containing only the information that is relevant to them, analyze KPIs.
- Reduced time in collecting the data, re-keying the data with a streamlined process.
- High flexibility, easy to use reporting, web-based access to real-time data analysis
Sample Design Layout of Solution with Excel Interface
Role or user-wise data input design layout
Role-wise Data Input Design Interface – Enters the values as per parameters on a daily basis from different departments for the purpose of Calculating the Overall Specific Energy Consumption.
Energy Values Master Table:
Save the energy values attributed to by-product & purchased fuels based on SEC Role-wise Data Input.
Energy Values Master Table Report Format
Intermediate Calculation report format
This report is accessed by the main user or super admin user who generates the reports with date ranges.
Out Put Report Format
Superuser and Dept. superuser is able to see all the departments’ reports in consolidated form as shown below with different date ranges.
Energy Balance Summary – Out Put Sheet 2
Superuser and Department Superuser can able to see all departments’ reports but HOD Department can able to see only his respective department reports with filtered date ranges.
Monthly Data Input
Can view all the activities of approvals, rejections, users-wise with the activity time stamping and concerned person details.
Note: – Different organization follows different kind of reports as per their business needs, based on your own business process any reports can be generated automatically, can be viewed in different charts, dashboards, and graphical representation.